You need to take care of yourself before you start taking care of others. This is a mantra I try to hold on to, even if it is very hard sometimes. Why? Because you usually want to help others, and prioritize them. Do you recognise it? And when everyone else has had their piece of you, you are so tired you do not have any strenghts left to take care of yourself..
On a flight, they always say “Put on your own mask first, before you help others”. Because, if you faint or pass out not wearing a mask yourself, you will also not succeed in helping others. Simple as that 🙂
So what can you do to help yourself, take care of yourself? I have listed a few things below that I usually do:
- Do the things that makes you happy – for me this includes yoga, gardening, running, being with family and friends, listening to music.
- Move – everything that makes you move. It does not have to be a cross fit session.. a slow walk is just fine, if this is what you feel like. Moving makes your brain rewire, like a refresh button on your computer.
- Sleep – get at least 7 to 8 hours sleep every night. You need those sleeping hours to rest and recover!
- Drink lots of water – and skip the coffee in the evening, before going to sleep.
- Be outside in nature – it is fantastic what the nature can do for you. Walk or sit in silence, meditate or just listen to the wind or birds singing. Maybe you even start to listen within, to your inner voice.
- Limited news and information flow – you do not need to be informed 24-7 about what is going on. I promise. Maybe you decide that once a day is enough? Try and see how often you “need” it to make you feel your best. To NOT be online and reading information all the time is also a resting space for your brain that will actually help you think more clearly and focus on the positives instead of the negatives (that you always see on the news).
So. Self Care isn’t selfish. On the contrary. It is the best thing you can do, for yourself but also for others. They will get a happier, stronger, healthier parent/spouse/friend/other and you will both benefit from this!
Hope this blog post can help remind you of the things you already knew.. And to make you put yourself first, as priority number 1 for now on.
Wish you the best. Take Care. Namaste.